Thursday, March 11, 2010

To cry it out, or to not cry it out -- that is the question

It has been a long, arduous week of M's new non-sleeping pattern.  Starting last Wednesday night, he decided to stop being a champion sleeper and to start waking up as soon as he was placed in his crib.  He has never been a good day sleeper but his nights were always great.  PJs, bottle, story, prayers, sleep, crib.  The end. 

Now, we go through the routine and he falls asleep in our arms but wakes as soon as he is put down.  We have been doing all sorts of things to try to help him because he is probably dealing with some teething issues.  He is handling teething during the day ok by chewing on everything that isn't nailed down but nighttime seems to be a different story.  Today, he finally took a little nap on his side but that lasted only about 40 minutes. 

Tonight, D helped me to try to let M cry it out.  Now I get it ... what torture.  I just wanted to run up there and grab him.  We let him go for 10 minutes before I went up and put him on his side, gave him his pacifier, and rubbed his back.  He calmed down but wasn't asleep when I left the room.  SO far, no noise.  I am hoping and praying that we are helping him to fall asleep on his own. 

Mommy is SOOO tired and starting to feel a little burnt out.  I need to plan a Mommy day soon - just a few hours to myself.  It feels self-centered but I know that it is right for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment