Monday, March 15, 2010

Nap training??

So now that we have M back in his crib at night and sleeping through the night again, it is time to tackle some nap training. 

I have been doing some research on this (shocking, I know) and have decided that there is a lot of discrepancy out there.  Some say that babies need to sleep every 90-120 minutes while others say that most babies this age (4-5 months) will be taking 2-3 naps per day.  I did the math and that doesn't work - at least it doesn't for us. 

For a while now, M has shown me that he gets tired about 90 minutes after he wakes up in the morning (or about 8:30am).  I would like him to sleep for an hour or so but sometimes it is only 30 - 40 minutes.  I wonder if this counts as his morning nap.  Then, he usually gets tired again in the 11:30/12 range but that is often disrupted by his need to eat.  I just fed him at 2pm and he went down for a nap, which would be an ideal time for his afternoon nap. 

Here is MY goal/ideal schedule:
7am - wake time / eat
8:30/9am - morning nap (60-90 minutes)
10am - eat
12pm - cat nat (if needed)
1:30pm - eat
2pm - afternoon nap (60-90 minutes)
4pm - eat
6:30pm - bedtime routine begins (pjs, stories, prayers)
7pm - eat
7:30pm - bedtime

Wouldn't it be nice to just program that in!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment