Thursday, May 27, 2010

Could M really want to go to bed EARLIER???

So, we have been trying to put M down between 7:30-8pm.  With his eating schedule, it just made sense.  I couldn't imagine that the boy would want to eat sooner than 2 1/2 hours since his last bottle and less than 90 minutes since his last solid foods.  The last few nights have been ridiculous in our household because M has been wired and rammy when we try to put him to bed at his "normal" time.  I couldn't figure it out.  He would drink and then push it away.  He would cuddle and then squirm and push me away.  It was getting on my NERVES!  Last night, I looked at D after an hour of this bedtime-nonsense with a look that was probably a bit shocking but I was spent! 

Thought about some advice I got from a girlfriend on Tuesday --- perhaps M was over-tired and he just wouldn't be able to turn the corner to go to sleep if his was already in this sleep-deprived-rant with his eyes bugging out of his head. 

So, tonight was a GREAT NIGHT. 

Picked up M after work to learn that he didn't nap (oh no - here we go).  But, he held it together and didn't fall asleep after his 5pm bottle.  We played and then we sat down to have dinner at 6pm.  M joined us for the first time at the table in his booster seat and had some yogurt while we had our dinner.  He had a great time.  He started to get fussy at 6:30 so D took him out and I had this epiphany .... time for bed. 

So, made his bottle and took him up.  Changed him into a nighttime diaper, gave him his Hyland's and a bit of generic Tylenol to help with this incessant teething, and gave him his bottle.  He was relaxed and eating like a champ.  Got to 1/2 oz remaining and he pulled the bottle out, smacked his lips (seriously) and then closed his eyes.  I put him on my shoulder to burp and there he rested for 8 minutes before I laid him down. 

He went right to sleep.  I even stayed in his room by the window to read for a bit (which has been my nightly position during the past 3 nights) and watched him reposition himself a few time before settling into that mouth-gaping-open sleep.  The kind I envy and think about doing every time I see him in that gorgeous place. 

So - my boy was TIRED!!!  Who knew???!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment