Saturday, April 17, 2010

The solid foods continue . . .

Feeding M solid foods (and I use the term solid very loosely, no pun intended) is hysterical and truly one of the highlights of parenthood so far.  He is an incredibly eager and adventurous eater and has done a phenomenal job with everything that we've given him so far. 

He has had (in order of introduction to M):
  • Rice Cereal
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Avocado
  • Banana
  • Squash
  • Carrots
  • Pears
He has loved all of them, but avocado and sweet potatoes seem to be his favorite right now.  He still makes a funny face when eating bananas - must be the strong flavor in them. 

We used mostly Earth's Best baby food because I didn't have time to prepare our own.  The pedi wanted us to get started right away, so I just used what I had purchased the week before as our "back ups".  We used fresh avocados and bananas and mashing them up was just as easy as popping open the jar of food. 

Today, I am starting on the mass preparation of baby food for M for next week.  I have 2 freezer trays with lids that I am going to use and I just baked 5 sweet potatoes in the oven.  I mashed them by hand and then will run through them with the hand-mixer to pull out any of those nasty choke-inducing strands.  Then, into the freezer cubes they will go.  This is very exciting!

I am also trying to ripen 4 avocados in a brown paper bag to add to the freezer tray.  We'll see how that goes. 

The next food I am planning to introduce is prunes or peas.  We shall see how those go over with Prince M. 

No comments:

Post a Comment