Friday, April 9, 2010

Blessing of a Skinned Knee

My sister-in-law recommended this book to D & I and gave it to us along with a lot of other great ones when we became parents.  I am reading it and I really love it - it talks so much about resiliency in kids and it touches on so many things that ring true for me as I begin to formulate my goals for my parenting style. 

We went to hear Dr. Kenneth Ginsburg speak about similar topics and it was so refreshing to hear someone comment on how we have to be the ones to teach our children resiliency.  We are all not good at everything but we are all good at something so the challenge (and joy!) of life is to find what you are naturally good at and what you are interested in and find a way to make that your life's work.  So much of it is exactly what I try to teach my high school students as well. 

My favorite NPR program, Voices in the Family with Dr. Dan Gottlieb, did a piece on this book several years ago.  Here is the link: Blessing of a Skinned Knee interview with Dr. Dan Gottlieb

No comments:

Post a Comment