Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Working Mom's Essentials

Back to work 3 weeks and am starting to get into my groove.  There are a lot of pregnant women in my organization and most are 1st-time moms which got me thinking about that oft-heard Mommy statement "if only someone had told me ....".

Here is a non-exhaustive list of some Working Mommy essentials that I have found helpful in my transition back to work:

1) Good electric double-sided breastpump in its own case
I use the Medela Pump In Style in the backpack and it has been easy to use and carry to & from work.  I store my milk in the included pack with the freezer pack and it is plenty cold when I get home from work later.  I portion my milk into milk storage bags and label them before popping them into the fridge. 
2) Hands-free pumping bra
Pumping is hard enough, let alone not having your hands free.  I use my pumping sessions as a way to reconnect to my Mommy-hood while at work and having access to my phone, computer, journal, snacks, pictures makes pumping a lot easier on me.  They make corset-style and strapless-bra style - get one that zips in the front.
3) Nursing tanks or Tank tops with stretchy straps
It is hard to maintain a professional wardrobe that is a) appropriate for work; b) forgiving on your post-partum figure; and c) easy to transition for nursing/pumping.  I have found nursing tanks and tanks with really stretchy straps to be an essential layer under my clothes as they smooth out those post-partum bulges and they conceal my tummy while pumping.  To pump, I simply pull down my tank & nursing bra and strap on the hands-free bra.  I don't have to entirely undress just to make some milk. 
4) Insulated lunch box
May sound like a no-brainer but nursing mamas need their nutrition more than the next person so making sure to have nutritious and filling snacks with you is essential.  I pack my lunch the night before and stack it up in the fridge.  When I get up in the morning, I grab that stack and throw it in my lunchbox and I am ready to go. 
5) Small resuable bag & bottle brush
After each pumping session, you will need to wash the pump parts in warm, soapy water.  In most organizations, there aren't sinks in the same location where you may pump and who wants to march through the office with their flanges hanging out and dripping milk.  I like to keep my pump bag clean so I started throwing the used parts into a resuable grocery bag along with a bottle brush.  This way, I can discreetly take my "parts" to the restroom sink and clean them without anyone being the wiser. 
6) Toiletry essentials
Being a working mom of an infant is tough - we are sleep-deprived & exhausted, torn in multiple different directions.  Looking our best is not a priority but it will certainly go a long way for our wellbeing.  Putting together a small bag of goodies to have at your desk should you need them is like car insurance - you hope you don't need it but if you do, you are so glad to be prepared.  My kit includes: concealer, compact foundation, deoderant, perfume, lint roller, extra breastpads, lanolin/nipple ointment, ibuprofen, pashmina scarf (to cover up leakage on blouse), Mother's Milk teabags, safety pins, and a small sewing kit. 
7) Reusable water bottle
Really - we could all use these but they are essential for nursing/pumping mamas.  Fill up with a big glass of water 20-30 minutes before each pumping session to help with milk supply.  It will do wonders for your milk, your waistline, and your skin. 
8) Transitional Clothes
I wear a lot of elastic-waisted pants & skirts with non-tucked shirts/sweaters.  I can be professional while working to drop the baby weight.  Our bodies change during pregnancy & nursing, so purchasing transitional clothing ensures that we look great while weathering the changes in our physique.
9) Photos from Home
Looking at a photograph (or better yet - watching a video) of your little one helps with milk supply AND connects you to the task at hand which is feeding & nourishing your child.  Put the work away for 20 minutes and give yourself back to your family while you pump.  Working mamas have an amazing way of switching roles somewhat seemlessly. 
10) A work confidant
Someone that you can talk with either in person or electronically who can support your breastfeeding journey.

GOOD LUCK mamas!

No comments:

Post a Comment