Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Pumping ... not for the faint of heart

Pumping is not easy.  I am grateful to not have any trouble with supply and know that for many nursing mamas, pumping can really deplete supply.  I am not complaining about that and I certainly have empathy for all of those mamas who are in that situation. 

But I am just annoyed with pumping and it is only my second week back to work.  I love my company and I feel supported to continue breastfeeding and, consequently, pumping.  (again, no room to complain here) But I am annoyed that I have to balance all of this.  I work in a job that requires me to travel among 10+ various locations and with that comes the need to identify the same number of locations in which I can pump.  We generally do not have private rooms or offices as space is a hot commodity.  Today I am in someone's office while they are off doing another job duty and only am using this because I know that she was a pumping mama a few months ago and she offered her space to me.  In a young organization such as ours, I may be the first person asking for space to do my motherly duty. 

I now understand why working mamas give up breastfeeding or supplement with formula while at work.  The part that upsets me is that something completely unrelated to my family (my job!) is going to continually test my endurance to FEED MY CHILD in the way that I want to.  Seems like a non sequitur. 

I will be reaching out to other pumping mamas for support and will continue to re-evaluate my professional role so that my priorities remain appropriately aligned - with my family coming first. 

So glad that I read The Milk Memos before heading back to work.  Helping me to keep my sanity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment