Saturday, July 31, 2010

Sleep Training Night #2

So after a long day at the pool and some weird naps (fell asleep on morning walk and in car on the way home from the pool), we were prepared for another long night of "sleep training".  I felt confident that we could handle it and was prepared for night #2 to be harder, just as most of the books say. 

We did the bedtime routine again, including half the bottle with a story then bath then finish the bottle with prayers and a good night song.  Then hugs & kisses from Mommy & Daddy and wishes for sweet dreams.  Handed him lovey and his paci and laid him down with a blanket. 

He was standing up before we left the room and was quiet for a few minutes.  Then, he started "talking" to for about 8 minutes.  Then, the crying started.  It was intense but there were breaks.  He launched into "Mama, Mama, Mama, Mama" and "Dada, Dada, Dada, Dada". 

I pushed through it, telling myself that I would not abandon my poor hubby to do this again without me until I finished folding the laundry.  My plan was to run one errand to Whole Foods and to pick up a pizza for Friday-Night Movie Night. 

By the time I finished the basket of clothes, he was quiet.  I was a little nervous (did he hit his head, choke on his pacifier, cry himself to the stage of passing out??) but D assured me that he was probably asleep. 

So I ran my errand and at 8pm, D texted me that our baby boy was sleeping peacefully in the center of his crib with his lovey and on his side.  (unlike the first night where he appeared to simply pass out in a puddle of tears on his tummy in the corner of his crib!)

We checked on him after our movie night and lo and behold, he had pooped again.  I was expecting it as he didn't move his bowels at all during the day, which was odd.  We successfully tandem-changed him again in his sleep and put him back to bed. 

He wimpered as he woke up this morning at 5:52 and was happy and talking when we went in to get him at 6:10am. 

I am so proud of our boy - we made a HUGE deal out of it, singing a song and clapping when we got him up.   He was all smiles and his tummy was rumbling for his bottle.  We brushed our teeth and are now ready to start our day. 

I must say, I am also so proud of us as parents.  This is a tough nut to crack but we hung together and stuck with it, even forgoing dinner plans for tonight to ensure that we have this mastered by the end of next week.  It just shows me that when we decide what is best for our son and we tackle it together, we can handle it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment